So, all set to go on a leisure trip? Surely, your contact lenses are a part of the baggage. Quite certainly they are a great convenience on a vacation. You can move around and enjoy freely without having to care about the glasses. Whenever you like, you can take a plunge without worrying. That’s the rosy part. However, contact lenses may also be vacation spoilers if you are careless. So, take care of a few things and your vacation will be a heavenly one.
1. Keep a spare pair of contacts with you. Even if you do not wear the frequent replacement kind, you must carry another pair of contact lenses. Say, your lenses get damaged or lost in the middle of the vacation. It would really be a painful spoiler if you had to go from shop to shop looking for a pair of lenses. Better be prepared. Now, if you use disposable lenses, take a good supply of them with you so that you never fall short of them.
2. Lens case and solution are inseparable companions of the lenses. So, when you pack your bags, make sure they are a part of the baggage.
3. Contacts work well for swimmers. However, it is important that they do not come in contact with water because it contains a number of bacteria that can get into your eyes and cause infection. So, while swimming, wear tight goggles to prevent its contact with water. And if water finds its way into your eyes, take the contacts off as soon as you can and clean them so that the problematic organisms get done away with.
4. There are certain contact lenses that are capable of blocking the UV rays, but that is not enough because the lenses cover only a small area of the eyes and do not reduce glare. So, you’ll still need goggles for better protection against sun damage and sun glare. Better still, wear a sun hat as well for additional protection.
5. When you are on a flight, take the contacts off and put your glasses on because the environment inside the plane makes the lenses dry. On dehydrating, they start absorbing moisture from the eyes, which can leave your eyes dry. Besides, many people have the tendency to doze off in the plane. And sleeping with your contacts on is certainly not recommended. Therefore, it is safer to put the glasses on.
These are very simple precautions that do not take too much of effort but are very useful in warding off unwanted botheration during the vacation.